Thursday, October 2, 2014

CHIKUNGUNYA!!

www.entornointeligente.com
So in the midst of the excitement of starting my blog I got a major setback. I was unable to go to work or to some of my classes due to this setback. I GOT CHIKUNGUNYA!! Yes I did. So here I was thinking last Friday while working on setting up and publishing my blog, that I was just merely tired and in need of rest. However, it was the virus that snuck up on me and threw me down. So one week later with severe pains and other associate symptoms from this Chikungunya disease I made a conscious decision to write a piece on it.

What is Chikungunya? It is a viral disease transmitted by humans by infected mosquitoes. Wait, it is not just mosquitoes but aedes aegypti mosquitoes! Yes it is the same type of mosquito that transmits dengue fever. I was apparently bitten by one of these mosquitoes.

Research has shown that this virus has no cure. There are many symptoms which include:

  • fever
  • body pains
  • joint pains
  • muscle pains
  • headaches
  • nausea
  • swelling of joints
  • conjunctivitis
  • fatigue
  • rash. 
  • etc


So I pretty much had almost all of those symptoms.

What can be done to ease these symptoms? The Chikungunya disease as said before has no cure but, the associated symptoms can be treated for and the virus would cure itself over time. 

For the pains, panadeine and muscle relaxers can be used. Papaya leaves, which is horrible in taste but very effective in the fight against the Chikungunya. The rash, THE RASH!!!!! Okay, I was afraid when I saw my whole body covered with the freakish looking rash. It is small reddish spots or bumps that last for two to five days. I used ‘piriton’ which is an allergy pill, ‘keto plus shampoo’ and ‘commed medicated soap’ to assist with the itching of the skin and the discomfort. All of the treatment was either given to me by my doctor or recommended by him. Oh! I forgot to mention that I was injected twice on my buttocks…. Yes I was, all in the name of Chikungunya. 

Plenty rest and keeping the body hydrated is necessary.

As I sit here in pain, I pray for everyone that has this Chikungunya to find some ease or relieve. For those who do not have it, please look out for the symptoms and protect yourself against it. 
  
“BECAUSE IT AIN'T NICE!!!!!”


Attribution:     World Health Organization

1 comment: